Thursday, August 23, 2012

Vegasaurus Sandwiches

Growing up, my family always had a membership to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. We frequently visited. When I say "frequently" I mean my dad took me every single Saturday for the weeks that my mom was on bed rest while pregnant with Kate.  I guess it was hard entertain a 4-year-old while laying on the sofa all day. I think I might have To the Limit memorized I saw it so often. Every time we would go, Dad would take me to the cafe and order what they called the Vegasaurus Sandwich. He liked it for the sandwich. I liked to steal the homemade potato chips. Anyway, we started to make them at home, especially during the summer. We would all get pretty excited when Mom announced we were eating these for dinner. 




prep time: 10 minutes
serves: 2

Ingredients:
bread, bagels, dutch crunch rolls, or whatever bread you like for sandwiches
cream cheese, the garden vegetable variety is best
2-3 oz of sliced cheese, any kind you like, I use cheddar or pepper jack
2-3 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 cucumber, sliced
1/2-1/2 red onion, sliced
1 avocado, sliced
alfalfa sprouts
spicy mustard, if you like that nastiness
Italian dressing

1. Toast the bread if you like it that way
2. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese of the bottom piece of bread
3. Put the sliced cheese on top of that
3. layer all the other ingredients (except dressing) over it. This works best if you put a thin layer of sprouts between each veggie layer to give them something to grab and help them stay in the sandwich.
4. Use a basting brush to brush 1-2 Tbs dressing on the other piece of bread. Put it dressing side down to close the sandwich.

Of course I like to serve these with kale chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment