Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vegetable Turkey Burgers

My husband was raised a vegetarian. I like meat and I think it is difficult, although not impossible, to get enough protein without it. Before we got married, we had a discussion on what we would eat and came to an agreement: my husband agreed to eat non-mammal animals and not cook any disgusting (and they are all disgusting) vegetation meat substitutes, and I would not cook any mammals for dinner. Therefore, we eat our fair share of turkey, chicken, and the occasional salmon. This also meant that I had to replace ground beef with ground turkey all the time. I have found that I actually really like turkey better than ground beef. Although, sometimes I just have to have a real burger when we go out. I hope you enjoy this healthier version of a burger.



Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes if on grill, forever and a year if on the stove/oven (about 45 minutes)
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
2 medium carrots
1 medium zucchini
1.25 lbs ground turkey
2 eggs
1-3 Tbs of whatever mixed seasoning suits your fancy at the time (1 Tbs if using spices,3 Tbs if using herbs, I used 2 tsp Penzeys Arizona Dreaming this time around)
1. If you don't have a grill, heat the oven to 350
2. Shred the carrots and zucchini in the food processor.
3. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Shape into 6 patties
6. If you don't have a grill, brown each side of each patty on a nonstick pan over medium heat (about 2 minutes per side) and place on a cookie sheet. If you have a grill, grill these, but be careful, they fall apart easily.
7. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes, flipping the patties at about 10 minutes. I bake mine on a wire rack, but you you don't have to. Do line your pan with foil or it will be a mess. Put cheese on during the 2 minutes if you are using it.
 
8. Top with your favorite toppings and eat. I did pepper jack cheese, guacamole, roasted red peppers and tomato and lettuce and it was yummy. Don't worry, I did figure out how to fit it all in my mouth. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment